But then I discovered Oliver + S patterns, a children's clothing pattern company based in NY. The instructions are just so clear and unlike most of the well known pattern makers have no assumed prior knowlegde in them - everything is spelled out and then explained as to WHY you do it this or that way. I've learnt things that I've then been able to apply to the rest of my fly by the seat of my pants/pattern-free sewing. So far I've loved their Sandbox pants and whipped up several for Little D and as gifts. I'm making loads of mistakes (and bad fabric choices) along the way but learning a whole lot aswell. Below is the Oliver +S Sail Boat Top. One pattern, 3 completely different shirts.

For my first attempt with this pattern I used a natural linen cotton blend and apart from some slight puckerig at the sleeves, it turned out alright. Little H has been getting a lot of wear out of it.
My second attempt was much less successful I must say! What was I thinking with that fabric? Even the facing fabric looks totally wrong. It WAS late at night when I cut this one out. More PJ looking than shirt, I think this one may get some wearing under his overalls this winter but will quickly be moving into the give-it-away or repurpose it pile.

As for my 3rd attempt, I ventured into a stretch jersey knit. Yes, I faced my fears of stretchy fabrics and hey, not so bad at all. Mum has been reassuring me that I'd be surprised at how easy it is to sew with but I was unconvinced until now. In fact I think I will try my hand at some more of this stretchy fabric business! This fabric came from an adult size shirt that I picked up for $4 from Vinnies and the facing is from an old t.shirt of mine. Homemade AND from repurposed materials, that makes my heart sing!
No comments:
Post a Comment