Last Sunday morning Dexter and I rose before dawn and rode our bikes in the dark to Sydney Park. We watched the super moon setting in one direction and the sun rising over the city skyline in the other direction. It was simply magic. It felt like we were the only people awake in the city. The moon was fat and yellow (and impossible to photograph). The skies perfectly clear, not even a whisper of clouds. We cycled to the very top of the hill and sat snuggled up against the cold on a park bench.
For the next 25 minutes we watched the fat yellow moon slip slowly below the horizon. Dexter was truly tickled by the whole thing. Through chattering teeth (poor kid was shivering, it was cold!) he kept saying "Wow! It really is bigger" and "Wow! You can actually see it moving!" and "Wow! I'm so pleased we got up so early to see it mum". Lots of wow's!
Slipping out of the house in the dark, into the tranquil predawn city; riding past a total of oh, maybe 4 cars; the fact that we actually followed through on our plans to see the super moon set which we only came up with the night before and sharing the whole adventure with a most enthusiastic 6 year old...well, it was a pretty special way to start the day. A morning I wont forget for a long time.
(Not my photo, taken from here).

So glad you got to see the moonset and the sunrise. I woke up at 6.30 and was instantly sad that I missed it.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I see an awesome moon I think of this comic
http://thecomicninja.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/doghouse-diaries-6/
It is SO SO true./
What a special experience. Makes me wish I'd got out of bed early - although it WAS a Sunday!!!!! And we all know I don't do early unless I really have to.
ReplyDelete