Saturday, November 10, 2012

And lucky last in our days of the week snapshot series

Was it only week before last?  Really?  Boy, we have been busy.  So busy, with so much packed into each day that it feels like a lifetime ago that I snapped our final day in our peak inside our weekday series - Wednesday before last.  It is supposed to be our activity/class free day.  A mid week chance to stop and stay home all day and do all that home stuff.  Honestly I can't remember a single Wednesday this term were we've done just that.  Now what did that look like on Oct 31st?  Let's see...

We lived with the lovely hum of the dehydrator overnight and beyond (some 24 hours altogether).  And weren't we all glad when it was time to turn that thing off?!  Its a wonderful thing, but in a small open plan house such is ours, its  noisy and annoying too.  But we have almonds coming out our ears now so it was worth it.




On our way to a picnic with lovely friends we see far too seldom we dropped off the pumpkin to Campos.  Just to sit on the counter and look cool for the day.  Why not?



It was a gorgeously hot day and we met our friends by the river.  The children played together like they're the best of mates but really they hardly ever get to see each other.  Isn't it lovely how as both adults and children we can catch up with friends we hardly ever see and it feels exactly as if we saw them just yesterday?  Those are friendships to cherish.



I got to gush over this sweet little thing and get my clucky on big time knowing it is all coming our way again in the not too distant future.  How awesome!



Once home again it was time to hit the back streets and join the neighbourhood halloween celebration which we have taken part in for the past 3 years.  Everyone meets in the park first and picnic dinners are shared, wine sipped (by some at least :)) and costumes oohed and ahhed at.  Its really so much fun and one of the very rare opportunities in our neighbourhood to well, hang out with the neighbours.  This year cousins Senna, Lara and Sachin joined us.









7 comments:

  1. Seriously, I know this may *sound* uncharitable but I mean it with absolutely the best of intentions - those just don't look like costumes on Dex and Hugo. Seriously. I just consider them a normal part of their functional wardrobe - in fact it may be one of their more commonly worn wardrobe items, surely? :)

    The light in that last picture...oh my goodness, I am aching! If you ever feel like letting me play with it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I know! But actually I was rather relieved they chose them. Up until the night before they'd been changing their minds about what to wear - all of it requiring me to sew/alter costumes. And much as I love to sew, have I mentioned how freaking BUSY we've been lately?!

      That light is Erskineville around 6.50pm at the moment. Come on over, we'll go for a stroll :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oh god, I would have been relieved too! They look so darn cute in them, go with the tried and true is my motto.

      Delete
  2. Where is that river??
    Why don't you run the dehydrator in the laundry? That's what we do sometimes to avoid the noise. Also, have you ever tried soaking them in salt and apple cider vinegar before drying??? They taste like salt and vinegar chips!!!!!!!!!!
    Love the neighbourhood Halloween thing - who orgainsed it? Not sure how I feel about so many folks taking up Halloween though - part of me likes it, the other part says 'We never did before -so why now?'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the mighty Nepean River! It's a really gorgeous park actually. Don't know why I'd never explored it before given the hundreds (thousands probably) of times I've crossed the river on the way to Bathurst.

      For the last 10 yrs our neighbourhood Halloween thing has been organised by a resident who hails from Vancouver. She does a letterbox drop every yr and the rules are only knock on doors displaying the orange flyer, no knocking before 6.30pm or after 8pm. Keeps everyone happy, those who don't want to participate don't have to. As for us, our family does have a tradition of celebrating Halloween- Will! It was totally a part of his childhood in Bermuda then Canada. I didn't quite get the enthusiasm for it in Aust either until I took part in it. It's really an excuse for a big street party- imagine talking to your neighbours and actually getting to know the people who you live beside?! The streets are crawling with unaccompanied children jay-walking across streets who for once own the neighbourhood- the few cars around slow down to 5kms an hour, front doors are wide open, crazy outfits everywhere you look. Awesome fun!


      Delete
  3. Ah, the Nepean. How far from home is that for you???
    Yep....I can see why you enjoy your street get-together!!!! And of course you should celebrate Halloween when it was a memorable part of Will's childhood.
    All celebrations have their place...and like me, I know you don't go for all the commercial who-ha anyway.

    ReplyDelete