This week held special meaning for us. Many of our 5 year old friends and a couple of nieces started school. All those First Day photos on facebook and in the media brought into focus the fact that we weren't experiencing this significant milestone, in the conventional sense at least.
While we don't have a First Day photo to share most of our regular homeschool activities resumed this week after the summer break. It felt like the start of the homeschool year for us. Last year, while involved in our homeschool community, we were just a family with young kids who weren't yet of 'school' age. This week we're proper homeschoolers. It's a milestone for us. Minus the uniform, packed lunches and school-run traffic.
So in lieu of that first day moment snapped in front of the school gate, here's a little wrap up of what our not back to school week looked like.
On Tuesday Dexter enjoyed a special day with his Granny Kim which included a double-decker bus tour of the city no less. We visited the library on Wednesday morning where we borrowed, among others, his favourite bridge book. Only the 3rd or 4th time we've borrowed it I believe?! (Should I just buy it for him do you think?) The afternoon was spent at the PHM, one of Dexter's favourite places in the world. And yes, it was mostly spent in the Space section. Yesterday we enjoyed our SHRIMPs (homeschool) meet at the shiny new pool (pictured above) up the road instead of the usual park. Because if you hadn't noticed folks, we're in the middle of a heat wave.
Echooooooooo!
Today we had ourselves a bit of a nothing day. If it had been a school day you could say we 'chucked a sickie'. (Oh, that's such an awful saying isn't it?!) We had lunch with Will at our new cafe. Cleaned the kids craft tables. Rearranged some stuff, including a fair whack of strewing (mwahahaha). Ate ice-blocks. Did NOT get on the bike. Dressed up as I don't know what.
How great is homeschooling? Or bus-, library-, museum-, pool-, bike-schooling as it were!
Wow, nice one if you read all of that! I'm done waxing lyrical about our school-free life now. We're a little bit excited. Thanks for bearing with me.

I am in awe of your bike handling skills! I am still struggling to get the hang of riding with my 14mo on a seat on the back. Is there a secret?!
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on your first day of officially not sending your kids to school!
Wow I am super impressed all those activities in this heat! I look forward to hearing more about it all. I'll have to look into Clifford I think Cadel is a little over Reading Eggs too, a change is as good as a holiday!
ReplyDeleteI made it to the end and I could've kept reading!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a bonzer day of not going to school and I'm sure there are more to come.
Love the idea of strewing!
Hope you can come to our place and not do school sometime soon :)
Hey I didn't know you could take photos in AKAC? Good to know! Sounds like a fun week! (and yes, you should buy that book for dex, imagine his face!)
ReplyDelete