Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Embroidery, 5 year old style.

Last week when I was sick and we didn't get out of the house much, we pulled out the kids sewing stuff. Dexter really loves doing simple embroidery. He draws a picture first with a fading fabric pen, then basically traces over it with the thread. It's an activity that immediately chills him out. Look at him slouched on the lounge, lost in his needle work.

This is a Fire Engine in progress.

Hugo gets in on the action too. He was much younger than Dexter's first foray into embroidery when I handed him the tools of this simple sewing technique. It never occurred to me to offer the activity to Dexter until he was almost 4 yrs of age. Hugo at 2.5yr took to it with enthusiasm last year.

At the time of creating Hugo said this latest work is a computer, on the left below. But when I asked him just now he said he couldn't remember what is was! It is certainly rather abstract, though he has been drawing a lot of computer's lately. I remember Dexter going through a similar stage, mobile phones featured heavily too. Oh this modern age we love in! Dexter created this Rainbow the other day. I was impressed with how much persistence and patience he had to deal with all those colour changes. (It took a little patience from me too, as he needs a little assistance to thread the needle and tie a knot in the end! But it's patience I can muster up pretty easily. I love seeing the kids enjoying this sort of activity. I only hope it continues).



Now we only need to decide what to do with these creations. Another bag? Or simply frame them? We've made some book marks with small ones in the past. I never got around to photographing the Christams decorations we made last year. Mini pillows? Endless possibilities - most requiring me to head upstairs to the sewing machine...lovely.

1 comment:

  1. Harriet loves drawing rainbows with people under them almost exactly the same as Dex has drawn here. I gave her sewing to do when she was two and she loved it as well. The younger you show them these things the more natural it is for them to take the responsibility onboard without question I think.

    ReplyDelete