Last week the kids and I packed up the car with our camping gear, threw the bike onto the shiny new roof-mounted bike rack (a tandem to accommodate the length) and headed south to try our luck with cycling along a Rail Trail. Well, not quite threw - it's bloody heavy and not easy for this 5 foot nothing mama, but with the help of a milk crate and sheer determination I can do it. And have put it on and off successfully several times now with little more than a few greasy stains and perhaps a tiny little bit of chipped paint on the car! (Lucky I'm not precious about the car).

We drove for a few days, camping along the way. The weather turned rather foul at one point and we postponed hitting the Rail Trail for a couple of days while snuggled up in a gorgeous warm log cabin outside Marlo, sitting around the wood fire toasting marshmallows between little bush walks and wanderings along the beach nearby. (I'll post about the non-cycling part of our trip soon).



We needed to take a detour off the trail for the first night after discovering on-route that our accommodation options in the village we were headed to did not exist, and apart from the rather hairy 2 or so kilometres of cycling along the Princes Highway with enormous high speed logging trucks and way too fast cars in a 'shoulder' that consisted of a lot of loose gravel and uneven surface, we cycled the whole way along the peaceful old railway line through farmland and forest. Over rivers and creeks and gully's. Past a Brown snake, many kangaroos and wallabies, about ten million butterflies and thousands of birds. And even a few other cyclists, though none of them carrying a load or child(ren)!



When the rain finally stopped we drove to Bairnsdale, ditched the car and hit the East Gippsland Rail Trail on the bike for the next 3 days for our first ever almost whole-family (Will stayed home to work poor thing!) out of suburbia cycling trip. It was great. Challenging and hard work, but really great.
I just want to do it all again. Hopefully next time we'll figure out how to carry camping gear as a cycling trip just doesn't feel right when you're not pitching a tent each night in my opinion. Oh well, for this trip we were loaded up enough without throwing in the extra weight of camping gear. And being our first time off a sealed road on the Xtracycle I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I have found myself day dreaming about acquiring some super dooper ultra lightweight and compact fancy pants camping gear that I imagine must exist... anyone have gear of that description that you want to off-load on us?!
Looks awesome! Lucky you three! That super dooper light camping stuff exists and is way expensive. But worth it if you're cycling I imagine! I bet Will was jealous, James would have been *GREEN*.
ReplyDeleteSo cool! Can't wait to get my FreeRad put together (still on a truck somewhere). Here is our trip report from a trek back in September: http://pavementsedge.blogspot.com/2010/09/trip-report-medicine-bow-rail-trail.html
ReplyDeleteHey! G'day, looks like a great trip was had by all. One question what is the child carrier? I am in Brisbane with a big dummy and a 2 year old wanting to "Go go go"like daddy. Any tips or hints, Thanks
ReplyDeleteCycad- I have the Xtracycle Peapod Lite seat, ordered direct from them and shipped here. They have a newer child seat just released but I'm not sure what's compatible w yr big dummy. I've seen other brand seats on a big dummy, check out the Xtracycle flickr group for ideas. Hope you work it out soon and get yr 2 yr old on board!
ReplyDeleteLou, thanks I think I will get the new flight deck, rack adapter and use a Bellelli clamp on seat. Good reviews in Germany. Regards. happy riding. Thanks for the reply.
ReplyDeleteFantastic! Hey who makes the big pouch duvalaki thing you've got on your handlebars?
ReplyDeleteCam - It's the Ortlieb 'Classic'. It's the perfect size for all those bits and pieces you want on hand. Waterproof, clicks on and off and has a shoulder strap. Love it!
ReplyDeleteGreat! thanks a lot for that lou
ReplyDeleteLou, Ortlieb should give you a commission. I want one of those handlebar bags as well...
ReplyDelete