So the other day, on Hugo's 4th birthday to be precise, we went out for a short bike ride. No ordinary bike ride mind you (and I'm not referring to the helium balloons that accompanied our return trip that day either). Extraordinary because the Xtracycle remained under her tarp in the backyard. This ride was a Big Moment because...wait for it...Dexter, Hugo and I ventured out on THREE SEPARATE BIKES!
They ride their bikes all the time at the park or on the footpath the short distance to Don Campos while I walk along beside them. But its only now that I've felt confident that they can both behave sensibly enough on their bikes for me to cycle also.
Today we ventured much, much further than Thursdays short outing and cycled all the way to Sydney Park, looped all the way around the duck ponds and then onto the mini road system before returning home.
Dexter has been sensible and alert on his bike for ages now and he and I have even cycled off the footpath and on the road where appropriate at times. But I've always felt more at ease with Hugo strapped into his child seat on my Xtracycle until now. He still isn't anywhere near ready for on-road cycling but wow, it felt pretty fantastic to be able to each ride our own bikes.


No comments:
Post a Comment