Monday, May 17, 2010

Bula

Everyone tells you that Fiji is THE place to go for a child friendly holiday. Well, they're 100% right.


I was a tad highly strung about going through with the trip after Will had to pull out and almost didn't go but I'm so glad we did. Fiji is beautiful and the people we met were relaxed, genuine and simply put, nuts about kids. I mean they knew D and H's names within 10 mins of our arrival. D was shouting bula (Fijian meaning welcome/hello) at everyone in the resort within a couple of hours, such was their way with kids!


Little D had a blast. He wore himself out trying to keep up with the big kids swimming, playing cricket, beach volley ball, learning how to throw a 'spear' (a very small and blunt stick!), a mini triathlon, treasure hunt and coin diving. He shadowed 7 year old George like some kind of groupie. If we lost sight of him (which wasn't really possible in his lime green swim shirt and bright yellow arm floaties) we just looked for George. George thankfully is a very sweet kid, and very skilled in hanging out with little ones (having 2 little sisters himself) and he tolerated D's intrusion of his personal space without a fuss. The poor kid couldn't turn around without tripping over D! (On a side note - it was worth the 4 hour flight just to look at those delicious humidity induced curls. I know his hair is barely wavy normally and as for H's, well, even humidity isn't budging those dead straight locks, but come on. Big fat curls! I couldn't take my eyes off them).




Little H did what he does best - wandered happily around flashing his grin at anyone he cast eyes on. A bucket kept him busy ferrying pool water around, the lid from D's markers entertained him early each morning in our suite while D and I tried to snooze until a more reasonable time to get up. It was a holiday after all. That said, by 'sleep in' I mean 7am instead of 5am. Hey, being first to the buffet breakfast bar has it's perks! And Little H enjoyed the food too as you can see by the photo of his pool side dining. His appetite was more ferocious than usual as he wasn't having his quota of goats milk each day. Hmm, a bit of a problem to source the old goats milk. Doesn't travel so well. He wasn't having a bar of the powdered goats formula I paid way too much for the day before we left. Lucky for him spaghetti bolognaise was on the menu.


And who should show up for our last 24 hours on Denarua Island but daddy! O.k, so that could be anyone's hand on the right but it is Will's I promise. And, in perfect tradition for our family, the only other photo showing that he actually was there with the rest of us - a whole family photo - is absolutely terrible. But there we are together. Will arrived after the kids had gone to bed on our last night and lucky us, having twisted the arm of the very helpful Rebecca (long time friend and go to babysitter for the boys since forever) to join me in Fiji for the second half of our short holiday - we had ourselves an in-room babysitter. It was rather surreal actually. And all the more romantic due to the unexpectedness of it all. After a meal by candle light on the beach, we wandered over to the pool side bar, drank pina colada's and danced the night away to the live band. Finishing our Fijian sojourn boogying beneath the stars with my crazy husband (I mean what kind of fruit cake flies to Fiji for one night, really?) - a perfect ending. Bula!



2 comments:

  1. OOoohhh, yay! I was waiting for you update, looks like you all had a fantastic time! Which resort was it? Were all those activities organised by them? So many questions, I should just wait until I see you next for a chat. And yes, that photo of all of you is terrible, oh my god, I laughed out loud when I saw it. What a great dad to fly over for one night. Bula indeed!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the Fiji Beach Resort and Spa managed by Hilton. Quite the mouthful, but everyone just calls it the Hilton. 20 min taxi ride from airport. Could not have been easier. The pool side entertainment was led by a couple of gorgeous Fijian guys, Tui was D's favourite! They would play a drum every hour or so which got the kids attentions. All came running to see what the next activity would be. D said last night his favourite thing about Fiji was the yoghurt at breakfast and the drumming! All the guests were easy going young families, no rascally kids at all - just parents relaxing by the pool and kids burning energy following around Tui and the gang. (Which of course means very tired kids who crash out early while you spend a long lazy evening on the deck of your suite doing bugger all).

    ReplyDelete