Ages ago Mum gave me a pile of old patterns including this awesome one (Simplicity 7629) in size 3 from 1973.
I immediately made one of the reversible 'vests' (waistcoat is a much cooler term though don't you think?) for Dexter who was three at the time, but he didn't like wearing it and it got stuffed into a drawer until recently when Hugo discovered it.
Unlike his brother, he loves it and has been wearing this one to death for a few months now. (Especially when we go out on the bike, a little ironic considering the design on the fabric). I finally decided it was time to make some more. How could I not? The boy is insisting on wearing a waistcoat every day - what mama could resist encouraging that particular fashion habit?!
Introducing the Lounge Vest.
Dress it up with a white linen shirt or down with an old T-shirt, this is a anywhere anytime wardrobe item. You can see Hugo is just as at home inspecting a fire hose at the warehouse in this waistcoat as he is drawing pictures while awaiting dinner at our local pub.
Made from upholstery (lounge) fabric I believe - extremely thick (yes, I broke a needle or two, yes I may have muttered some swear words under my breath, yes I wondered while I was sewing it why on earth I'd chosen that particular fabric). But doesn't it look great? Worth the sweat and tears. Both the green and red fabric came from a fantastic fabric bundle I scored at the Salvo's recently.
Next up, for all those formal functions Hugo attends, a Little Black Number.
This linen cotton blend (from Kelani Fabrics) has been in my stash for a while now (remember the pockets on these shorts)? Lined with luxurious olive green velvety corduroy. A wardrobe item every boy needs, you can achieve that formal look instantly with this baby. Even with gumboots. Or undies. Or both as may be the case.
Here we have something fresh and fun - lets call it the Beloved Frogs Waistcoat.
Beloved because I have made so many items from this fabulous linen in the past 2 years and loved every one. What's not to love about these darling little smiling frog faces? This waistcoat is just about the last of my stash which I believe came from Tessuti Fabrics . I added the pockets because my boy likes pockets. Simple as that. The lining fabric is from an old flannelette sheet that's been resurrected into kids pyjama pants, a comfy bed for our ageing canine and now this. It's super worn in and soft. (Sorry, no photo of Hugo wearing this one yet. He has five of the things you see and it's only been 2 days since 4 of them entered his wardrobe - one can only handle so many clothes changes in a day).
Lastly here's what I call The Serious Vest - something a little more mature than frogs, for when Hugo wants to be taken seriously (because cute little green frogs are completely not serious people). Small print geometric aeroplanes on a purple background. From a men's shirt I found at an op shop recently. See, a mature age (serious) person was intended for this fabric.
I added some details by using one of the sleeve cuffs for a pocket and a button closure from the other sleeve's cuff. Also, on the back, a little placard with buttons at either end. Serious stuff. (The inside fabric came from the aforementioned fabric bundle from the Salvo's).
Five waistcoats should keep him satisfied huh?! Ten if you turned them inside out... That was the most fun I've had sewing in yonks and yonks. Not that I've been doing very much of late. Though I feel that's about to change. It's such a seasonal thing sewing, and the approaching winter has me all excited about having some more time for it in our days.






love, love, LOOOOVE this post! i stumbled across it on pinterest and since then i confess i've clicked on it a few more times whenever i happen to be browsing through my pins for sewing inspirations. i like the term waistcoat and your little man looks absolutely adorably smart wearing them. clearly he has excellent taste in his fancy for waistcoats!
ReplyDeletewould you consider sharing the pattern or a simple tutorial one day?