Dexter has been excited about starting piano lessons for a long time. Earlier this week we made a music bag together and talked about his upcoming lesson.
He decided to make a picture using a fabric markers and adding embroidery details. I suggested a music theme picture but of course this child can't be persuaded to do something he doesn't feel like. He decided that a picture of a fire engine next to a burning building was the right thing for one's music bag!
I helped him cut out the pieces and took care of the pinning and ironing parts of the bag construction but he took full charge of the sewing machine for the actual assembly.
Voila! Finished bag, music book inside. Set to go!
His lesson went well. A couple of minor hiccups and moments of close-to-unravelling (mostly about doing the bow), however our most wonderful teacher, someone we've had the pleasure of knowing since Dexter was a wee baby, gently but firmly held the space and Dexter pulled himself together and went on to enjoy the lesson and rise to the challenges set. I was proud of him.
Also this week Dexter participated in his first Athletics Carnival! How about that? Bet you thought we homeschoolers would miss out on this school tradition, but no. Every year in Sydney there's an athletics carnival for home-schooled children organised by SHEN and hosted by Kickstart. It was great fun. Dexter had a ball. He started out a little apprehensive as per his usual self when tackling something new and unknown but he quickly settled into the swing of the day and hung out in his age-group chatting with friends, old and new.
Second place for the high jump! Boy was he chuffed to receive a ribbon. You can have the its-not-about-winning-it's-about-having-fun conversation with a 5 yr. old as much as you like - but at the end of the day, well he's five and the main focus for him all day was trying to earn a ribbon! He also tackled the obstacle course, javelin, shot-put, running races and finally the relay.
Hugo enjoyed the day too. He ran around with the other little kids, playing with sticks and getting dirty.
And just one last milestone for my big boy this week. Though actually this one happened about 2 weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to make a note of it until now. We'd been out and about all day, it was raining and we were homeward bound apart from one final stop at the deli for something. The only parking we could find was around the corner and I pulled up thinking aloud that it would be great if only one of us had to get out in the rain and race into the deli instead of all 3 of us. The parking spot was just that little bit too far for me to feel comfortable leaving both kids in the car - it is illegal after all and I've known friends to be busted for it in our neighbourhood by the police!
Well, Dex volunteered to go and buy what we needed while Hugo and I waited out of the rain in the car! I gave him money, explained what he should ask for and reminded him to wait for his change. Lo and behold off he went. I watched in the rear mirror as he disappeared up the footpath and out of site past the florist which is next to the deli. Our old neighbour owns the florist so I knew that Kelly would recognise Dex if he seemed in need of help. And we also know the couple who run the deli so I knew they'd recognise Dex and even if he couldn't explain what he wanted they'd hazard a pretty good guess based on our usual purchases.
Well, he did it. Triumphantly came running back around the corner into my sight after what felt like a very very long 3 minutes or so to me! He'd bought the lasagne and on a whim a couple of gingerbread men for himself and Hugo - apologising to me that he didn't buy 1 for me as he worried he didn't have enough money! How about that huh? I clearly remember getting upset and making a fuss and refusing to run into a shop for my mum when I was much older so I was impressed that he handled the whole task with such confidence. He's growing up huh?
One final milestone which occurred in our family this week was all Hugo's. He has started the Reading Eggs program and is loving it! (And I remembered to access the HEA discount when signing him up and renewing Dexter's subscription - 40% saving, woo)! It's been a very slow and gentle start with him repeating over and over the first 2 lessons of map one this week and half of it is going over his head. But! There he sits each day for 15 minutes or so laughing at Sam the Ant and joining in the signing parts - beginning his literacy journey. It's his first time using the mouse and Dexter has been gorgeously sitting by his side, helping when the mouse threatens to run off the edge of the desk.

They are great milestones! We couldn't get up to Sydney - and DS was NOT keen for athletics (LOL).
ReplyDeleteThe first shop by themselves is a pretty big deal, isn't it? My DS went off by himself last year (also in the rain). And yes - a very long 3 minutes! Thanks for sharing!!
I'm not sure I want Till to see this blog post - she'll be asking to use my sewing machine in seconds! Go Dex - you are a champ! How's the piano practice going????
ReplyDeleteMichelle i thought the same thing ! Alex bugs me all the time about using it - i told him he has to be 5, but 5 is getting close !!
ReplyDeleteoh i felt a bit teary when i read about him going into the shop all by himself. wow, what a wonderful achievement he must have felt so proud of himself and to buy two gingerbread, oh sweet thing. Oh by the way happy birthday for the other day, hope your day was super gorgeous. xxx j
ReplyDeleteWow, that first shop run is HUGE! Harriet has been doing little things like that for a while now but nothing quite as big as going in by herself - wow!
ReplyDeleteTed's starting to get over his fear of Sam the Ant in Reading Eggs by pretending to be Sam the Ant and I am "Mama Sam the Ant'. He's able to read three letter words phonically with prompting - it's weird because Harriet was never into phonics, she just jumped to whole words.
Well done boys!!! I especially love the pic of Dex running with the relay baton, he looks so happy!!! Very sweet blog Lou, xo
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful, Lou! All your news is just brimming with joy, with so many sweet achievements, so much empowerment. Wow, I can hear the roaring from here! I'm so happy for Dex and for Hugo. What glorious adventures you've all been having—I'm so pleased.
ReplyDelete