Saturday, July 24, 2010

So I finished something finally...

Introducing Roberto Robot. My first softie. I first came across him here. Which lead me to his creators blog, which lead me to this post here. I deviated a little from the pattern, both intentionally (those square button eyes) and by accident (the un-boxed lower body - you can see how it should have looked here).

I used fabric entirely from my stash including that super duper metallic stuff and the fluorescent orange velvet which mum gave me recently. At first I thought the result a little scary and left him unfinished for a few days by the sewing machine while thinking about what to do. Should I take out all the stuffing, turn it inside out again and box the corners of the body to get rid of those hip wings? Should I get ready for some serious unpicking and re-do his whole face without those freaky big square button eyes?

What I hadn't counted on was Little D coming across him before I was done thinking...and Little D LOVED what he saw. The kids rarely venture up the spiral staircase to my sewing area but on Wednesday D asked for some orange fabric for something he was working on at his craft table and I didn't think to run ahead and hide my robot-in-progress until it was too late.

So apparently my concern that I had created a nightmare-inducing freaky toy was unwarranted and he is not so scary after all! Last night I finished up by hand-stitching the opening and left him on D's bed to discover in the morning. That was his idea. Mum, he said at bedtime, make sure you finish my robot and put him on my bed so I see him when I wake up.

Today his robot, as yet unnamed (but not Roberto thanks mum!), was the centre of all D's play. And he even obliged me with a cheesy photo session as you can see...





2 comments:

  1. Awesome! The robot is too cool, and love your photo session (I see you have embraced my love of your back curtain!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks great. I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete