Saturday, June 25, 2011

the latest craft-a-rama in this part of the woods...


Another jet-pack. As the months go by these are becoming more and more detailed. Dex added solar panels, hand controls and flames to this one. He wore it while cycling yesterday, pressing the buttons to give himself an extra boost!


Dex and cousin Zelda (11 yrs.) exchanged several letters to organise a puppet making workshop. What is more exciting to a 5 yr old than receiving mail? Making puppets! He spent the afternoon at her house last week and came home with this little Astronaut puppet. I wish I'd taken photos of the mini theatre Zelda made along with the other little puppets. They performed a show for us, featuring the above astronaut in the leading role!


A few months ago, not long after Dexter bought his helmet, we made this story together. I printed out the photos and the text (as dictated by Dex) and he cut and paste the whole thing by himself. He's made several stories now and all of them live on his bookcase alongside his 'real' books. He's so proud! Both he and Hugo often choose one of Dexter's home-made books for their bedtime stories. Too sweet!




Dexter made this recently under the guidance of our wonderful, wonderful regular babysitter Becca. She always does crafty things with the boys and they (and I) love her for it!


Glitter (sprinkles as he calls them) and glue have been favourite craft materials of Hugo's lately.


And he has been drawing a lot and 'writing'. Can you see his name, the letters out of order but all there at the top right? He wrote it for the first time in April sometime. He just copied it from something that I'd written his name on, without any encouragement what-so-ever. And brought it to me and said - Look! I wrote my name!


This is a boat that Hugo drew a few days ago when we were out to dinner. (We always always have textas and paper when we eat out)!

His favourite pieces on his notice board. The red paper, snipped into small pieces and stuck back together with sticky tape is but a tiny example of this sort of work. There's a lot of snipping and taping around here. Each thing has a story or a purpose and is usually played with for some time before being pinned here. He makes mobile phones, talkie dorkies (walkie talkies), computers, treasure maps, toys for his baby doll, and so much more.


Dexter made a little alien softie with my help a few weeks ago. He used fabric markers on calico to draw and colour in a front and back and using the slow setting on my sewing machine he sewed the pieces together. Then it was filled with stuffing and hey presto, alien softie to throw around.


Lego Space Centre mat. After looking at some Lego play mats on the Lego website Dexter decided to make his own. I helped him gather the materials and aside from cutting the small pieces of masking tape that we used as road (run-way) markings he did this all himself. I love some of the details he explained to me as he was building this. The moon buggy training area is covered with bumpy paper to represent the lunar surface! He made tiny origami boxes for a computer desk and chair inside the control centre. The toilet paper roll telescope can move about to face the part of the night sky required. He even created a satellite launch pad for when, one day, he owns this. (Yes, his desire for more Lego continues. Is Lego a legitimate homeschool resource?! Surely it is?!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm exhausted looking at this post. I think I need a lie down.

    ReplyDelete