It was very last minute. We had to get out of town to make room for the painter. So to Bathurst we drove. Not to stay with my folks as we usually do (they're doing this at the moment) but to stay with my little brother. A first! My, we are grown up siblings now aren't we?!
This was the setting sun that greeted our arrival on Monday afternoon. Only 4pm or so would you believe? Doesn't it just scream Winter? And to any Bathurstians (or Ex-Bathurstian's reading this) - doesn't this just scream Bathurst Sunset In Winter?
Next morning the boys and I decided to put on a brave face and ignore the freezing temperature to fill our day casually in town. (ie. raid the Salvo's which don't you know are always so much more full of wonderful things in country towns than cities?)
Well, it did eventuate in the mid afternoon and while we only experienced 40 minutes of actual snow fall and nothing settled on the ground due to it being wet from earlier rain, it was really awesome to experience. Big fat silent snow flakes floating floating to the ground. (Impossible to photograph by the way).
And on the Winter Solstice no less! Uncle Matt lit the fire to indulge my wood-burning fire need (though his centrally heated place doesn't require it for warmth) and the boys and I read our bedtime stories by it. Hoping, hoping that more snow would fall over night.
I don't know why, but snow just makes me so excited. Like giggly hyperactive little kid excited. I'm sure if I had to live with it for months on end I would quickly get over the novelty. But for now, how freaking fortunate to have been in Bathurst the past 3 days, (especially being such a last minute decision that it was). And for it to SNOW! Which is actually not so common in the region. So cool, huh?!
Happy Solstice!
No comments:
Post a Comment