For a while now Dexter has been asking me when we could go out for a ride at night and use the lights on my bike! The vast majority of our cycling happens during the day and though I sometimes go out on the bike at night it's without the kids. The last such evening Dexter stood in the backyard saying goodbye and moaning loudly that it just wasn't fair - why should I get to go cycling at night and use all those fun lights and he miss out?
At SHRIMPs yesterday someone reminded me of Vivid which is currently lighting up Circular Quay and The Rocks. And we decided that tonight was the night to give my boy his much longed for night cycling experience...lights on the bike and lights on the city. Yeah!
We left Hugo home with Daddy for their own special evening of gumboot dancing (Will took a video on his phone of Hoogs raising the roof in his bare bum and yellow gumboots and no, I'm not going to share it here!) and pasta making and rode to the city together. Dex and I ate fish and chips with loads of tomato sauce for dinner! We sat eating on the wall outside the Museum Of Contemporary Art watching the ever changing display of lights on the Opera House.
He kept saying 'Wow!' The Customs House light show particularly engaged the little guy. And the stairs which lit up as you walked up and down them were pretty fun too.
We watched the Fire Show over the water by the Overseas Passenger Terminal and Dex made use of the Xtracycle for a good view over the crowd- it's hard to tell in the photo but he's standing on the flight-deck of the bike. An unexpected but very cool use for the bike I must say.
It was such a fun evening. And I reckon more than enough light action to satisfy Dexter for a while.

Awesome! I was just thinking about doing this tomorrow night for my birthday and James told me about this post. Since it's the last night though it may be mega-packed. Cute stuff!
ReplyDeleteYour boy will never forget this—the gift of time with his mama, the gift of an extraordinary adventure, and the gift of all that LIGHT.
ReplyDeleteI want to come on the next night ride! I can't think of anything more magical.
Thank you, so much, for taking us too, Lou. :)